Home
 > About Taizhou > Introduction > History
Introduction
History

 

 

Taizhou has a long history with its ancestors living in the region about 5000 years ago. In pre-Qin Dynasty, it was part of Ouyue. In Qin Dynasty, it belonged to Minzhong Prefecture. At the beginning of Han Dynasty, there were Princes of Donghai and Dongyue successively. In the first year of Yuanfeng, Hanwu Emperor (110 BC), Prince of Dongyue was abandoned and people moved to Jianghai area, changing the area into Yin County of Kuaiji Prefecture, named Huipu Township.

 

In the 2nd year of Western Han Dynasty (85 BC), Huipu Township, Yin County was changed into Huipu County with Huipu (present Zhang’an) as the County jurisdiction, belonging to Kuaiji Prefecture, under the jurisdiction of Yangzhou, roughly equivalent to later Tai, Wen and Chu. During Jianwu years of the Eastern Han Dynasty (25-56) (the 1st year of Zhanghe <87>), Huipu County was changed into Zhang’an County. In the fourth year of Yongjian (129) (the 3rd year of Yonghe <138>), Dong’ou Township of Zhang’an County was under the jurisdiction of Yongning County (present Yongjia County). In the 4th year of Jian’an (199) (the 2nd year of Xingping <195>), the southwest of Zhang’an County was belonged to Songyang County.

 

During Huangwu and Huanglong years (222—231) of Wu of the Three Kingdoms, the northwest of Zhang’an County was belonged to Shiping County, the west of Zhang’an County and part of Yongning County were belonged to Linhai County which was named after Linhai Mountain. In the 2nd year of Chiwu (239), Yongning County was belonged to Luoyang County, named Luojiang County. In the 2nd year of Emperor Taiyang, the east of Kuiji Prefecture was belonged to Linhai Prefecture under Yangzhou with Zhang’an as the County town (firstly Linhai, then moved to Zhang’an), jurisdiction over Zhang’an, Linhai, Shiping, Yongning, Songyang, Luoyang (later named Anyang) and Luojiang, stretching to Minbei. This is the beginning story of Taizhou as a prefecture.

 

In the 1st year of Taikang, Western Jin Dynasty, Shiping County was changed into Shifeng County. 800 of Yin County and 200 of Northern Zhang’an County were belonged to Ninghai County under Linhai Prefecture, and Anyang County was then changed into Angu County. In the 4th year of Taikang (283), Angu County was belonged to Shiyang County which was soon changed into Hengyang County. Luojiang County was transformed to be under Jin’an Prefecture. At that time, Linhai Prefecture was of jurisdiction over Zhang’an, Linhai, Shifeng, Ninghai, Yongning, Songyang, Angu and Hengyang under Yangzhou.

 

In the 1st year of Taining, Eastern Jin Dynasty (323), Yongning, Songyang, Angu and Hengyang in the south of Linhai Prefecture was belonged to Yongjia Prefecture. Linhai Prefecture was of jurisdiction over Zhang’an, Linhai, Shifeng and Ninghai which formed later Taizhou area. In the 3rd year of Yonghe (347), Nanxiang of Shifeng County was belonged to Le’an County (present Xianju) under Linhai Prefecture.

 

In the 9th year of Sui Kaihuang (589), Chen Dynasty out of Southern Dynasties was destroyed and prefecture system was abandoned, combining each County of Linhai Prefecture into Linhai County, under jurisdiction of Chuzhou (in 12, it was changed into Kuozhou). In the 3rd year of Yang Emperor (607), the state was changed into prefecture. Linhai County was belonged to Yongjia Prefecture.

 

In the beginning of Tang Dynasty, Linhai was divided into Zhang’an, Shifeng, Le’an, Ninghai and Linhai Counties. In the 5th year of Wude (622), Taizhou was created, named after the Tiantai Mountain. In 7, Ninghai County was combined into Zhang’an County. In the next year, Shifeng, Le’an and Zhang’an Counties were also combined into Linhai County. In the 8th year of Zhenguan (634), Linhai County was belonged to Shifeng County. In the 2nd year of Gaozong Shangyuan (675), northeast of Linhai County was belonged to Ninghai County. In September of the 1st year of Tianshou (690), Yongning County was changed into Huangyan County, named after the west of the County Huangyan. In the 2nd year of Shenlong (706), Ninghai County and Maojie County of Yue State were belonged to Xiangshan County under Taizhou. In the 21st year of Kaiyuan (733), it was under jurisdiction of Jiangnan Dongdao. In the 1st year of Tianbao (742), it was named Linhai Prefecture again. In the 1st year of Qianyuan (758), it was renamed Taizhou. In the 2nd year of Suzong (761), Shifeng County was changed into Tangxing County. In the 2nd year of Guangde (764), Xiangshan County was belonged to Ming State. In the 3rd year of Zhonghe (883), it was under jurisdiction of Yi Shengjun. In the 3rd year of Guangqi (887), Taizhou was belonged to De Huajun.

 

After the liberation in June 1949, the 6th Prefecture of Zhejiang was set up. On October 10 of the same year, the 6th Prefecture was changed into Taizhou Prefecture, based at Linhai County, jurisdiction over Linhai, Huangyan, Tiantai, Xianju, Wenling, Sanmen and Ninghai, as well as two direct areas Linhai Chengguan and Haimen. Yuhuan County was belonged to Wenzhou Prefecture. In May 1950, areas directly under Linhai Chengguan were abandoned and belonged to Linhai County. In October 1952, Ninghai County was belonged to Ningbo Prefecture. In June 1953, Yuhuan County was belonged to Dongtou, so were all the islands in Damen, under jurisdiction of Wenzhou Prefecture.

 

In May 1954, Taizhou Prefecture was abandoned. Linhai, Tiantai and Sanmen Counties were belonged to Ningbo Prefecture. Huangyan, Wenling and Xianju Counties as well as areas directly under Hianmen were belonged to Wenzhou Prefecture. In March 1956, Xianju County was belonged to Ningbo Prefecture while areas directly under Haimen were abandoned and became part of Huangyan County.

 

In July 1957, Taizhou Prefecture was set again, with jurisdiction over Linhai, Huangyan, Wenling, Tiantai, Xianju, Sanmen and Ninghai Counties. In October 1958, Sanmen County was abandoned and combined into Linhai County. Ninghai County was abandoned and combined into Xiangshan County under Taizhou Prefecture. Dongtou County was recombined into Yuhuan County, still under Wenzhou Prefecture.

 

In December 1958, Taizhou Prefecture was abandoned and Tiantai County was belonged to Ningbo Prefecture while Linhai, Xianju, Huangyan and Wenling Counties were belonged to Wenzhou Prefecture. In April 1959, there was a notice of abandoning Yuhuan County from the CPC Zhejiang Provincial Committee and the Zhejiang Provincial People’s Committee, all the areas belonging to Wenling County and Wenzhou City, which was carried out in April. In January 1960, the State Council officially approved to abandon Yuhuan County.

 

In April 1962, Taizhou Prefecture was recreated, so were Sanmen County and Yuhuan County, jurisdiction over Linhai, Huangyan, Wenling, Xianju, Tiantai, Sanmen and Yuhuan Counties.

 

In October 1978, it was changed into Taizhou Area. In July 1980, Haimen Special Area was created, belonging to Taizhou Area, covering original Haimen District of Huangyan County, Dachen Town, Shandong People’s Commune and Qiansuo People’s Commune of Linhai County. In July 1981, Haimen Special Area was abandoned, whose administrative areas were belonged to Jiaojiang City, named after Jiaojiang River within the boarders. Later, Zhang’an District of Linhai County, Hongjia District of Huangyan County and Sanjia District were successively belonged to Jiaojiang City. In March 1986, Linhai County was abandoned into Lianhai City. In September 1989, Huangyan County was abandoned into Huangyan City. In February 1993, Wenling County was abandoned into Wenling City. Taizhou Area covered Linhai, Jiaojiang, Huangyan and Wenling City, as well as Tiantai, Xianju, Sanmen and Yuhuan Counties.

 

On August 22, 1994, the State Council approved to abandon Taizhou Area and the County level Huangyan City and Jiaojiang City, to set up prefecture-level Taizhou City and county-level Jiaojiang District, Huangyan District and Luqiao District, with jurisdiction over Jiaojiang, Huangyan and Luqiao Districts, Linhai and Wenling Cities, as well as Yuhuan, Tiantai, Xianju and Sanmen Counties. The Municipal People’s Government was based in Jiaojiang District.



【Print】 【Close】
Produced By 大汉网络 大汉版通发布系统